Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19)
About the COVID-19 novel Coronavirus
Follow the links below to find resources related to COVID-19 for all facilities, including the NETEC webinar series, PPE use and conservation guidance documents, education and training resources, preparedness resources, research on respiratory pathogens and airborne transmission, clinical guidance documents, documents on ambulatory PPE, and other research resources. Click here for items on COVID-19 and pediatrics. Scroll for the COVID-19 map, key updates, and new NETEC resources. You can go to the WHO COVID-19 pages and the CDC COVID-19 pages for additional resources.
New NETEC Resources:
Updates and Map
Find more information on Coronavirus on the Lancet's Coronavirus page. See updates on COVID-19 on the WHO Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) page with Situation Reports and Disease Outbreak News, and see the updated Geographical distribution of COVID-19 cases within China and globally on the European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control page. Map below created by Johns Hopkins (if the map does not load below, you can view it on the Johns Hopkins page).
- Development continues to advance on coronavirus vaccines with over two dozen in human trials. Follow the development of each with the Coronavirus Vaccine Tracker managed by The New York Times.
- The CDC added new symptoms to its running list of Symptoms of the Coronavirus. The list does not include all possible symptoms, and the CDC states that it will continue to update the list as they learn more about COVID-19.
- The NIH COVID-19 Treatment Guidelines Panel recommends using dexamethasone in patients with COVID-19 who are mechanically ventilated (AI) and who require supplemental oxygen but who are not mechanically ventilated (BI). (NIH, updated 7/17/2020)
- On May 22, 2020, JAMA published a Viewpoint updating guidance and summarizing the current status of potential therapies, vaccine development advances, and the potential role of convalescent antibodies as treatment and for immunity evaluation (del Rio and Malani).
- Preliminary results from the Remdesivir trial indicate that was superior to placebo. Read about the preliminary results. (ACCT-1 ClinicalTrials.gov number, NCT04280705.)
- On 31 December 2019 the WHO China Country Office was informed of cases of pneumonia of unknown etiology (unknown cause) in Wuhan City, China. A novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV) was identified by Chinese authorities on 7 January 2020 (WHO). On 11 February the name of the virus was announced as severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2) and of the disease as coronavirus disease (COVID-19) (WHO).
CDC Novel Coronavirus Updates
Cases in the U.S....
Thu, 03 Dec 2020CDC COVID Data Tracker - Cases and Deaths by State
Previous Forecasts of Total Deaths...
Thu, 03 Dec 2020Forecasts show national and state level cumulative reported and predicted deaths since the beginning of the pandemic.
Treatments Your Healthcare Provider Might Recommend for Severe Il...
Thu, 03 Dec 2020This page provides a broad overview of therapies that are currently recommended for COVID-19 treatment. The FDA can issue emergency use authorizations (EUAs) to allow healthcare providers to use products that are not yet approved, or are approved for other uses, to treat patients with COVID-19 if certain legal requirements are met. The National Institutes of Health (NIH) has developed and regularly updates Treatment Guidelines to help guide healthcare providers caring patients with COVID-19. Any treatments that are used for COVID-19 should be under the care of a healthcare provider.